If you’re not taking good care of your teeth, you may find yourself visiting a periodontist quite often. A periodontist is a specialized dentist who diagnose, prevent and treat periodontal disease. A Periodontist is a category of dentist who goes through extensive training and education to perform periodontal procedures.
A recent study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shows that a staggering 50% of the adults in the U.S. have gum disease. These adults tend to lose at least one tooth in their lifetime. The study concludes that if you’re above 65, you have more chances of getting a gum disease and every three out of four senior citizens have a gum disease in America.
With that being said, let’s face it; no one wants to lose their natural teeth. The good news is that you can take steps to prevent gum diseases and protect your oral health. It is not only important for your teeth, but also for your overall health.
Here are 5 steps you must take in order to avoid visits to a periodontist.
- Properly Brush and Floss Your Teeth – brushing has long been a practice for keeping teeth nice and clean and for preventing any gum disease. By brushing and flossing your teeth properly, you eliminate chances of bacteria settling between your teeth.
- Get Checkups – consulting a dentist is crucial for adults since an expert such as a periodontist can access your teeth and gums, giving you a clear picture of your oral health.
- Stop Smoking – excessive smoking and smoking, in general, reduces the circulation of blood within your gums which increase chances of gum disease.
- Eat Healthy – having a healthy diet is essential for a healthy growth of teeth and the overall body. Consume items rich in vitamins and minerals. Also, avoid excess intake of sugar and fizzy drinks.
- Chew Sugar-Free Gum – if you’re unable to brush after a meal, chewing a sugar-free gum will produce saliva that helps dissolve small food particles stuck between your teeth.
By following these 5 simple steps, you can avoid regular visits to a periodontist. If you’re looking for a check-up, visit Anthem Periodontist and get a clear assessment of your oral health today!