Are You Dealing With Any Of These Common Dental Problems?
There are many reasons that bring patients to us. By educating yourself about these common dental issues, you can help spot a problem before it turns into something really serious.
- Mouth Sores: Usually a minor mouth sore is nothing to be concerned about, but if you find that it is lasting for more than two weeks or accompanied by other symptoms such as bleeding or fever it’s time to give us a call.
- Toothache: Pain is your body’s way of letting you know that something isn’t right. If you have even a mild toothache it’s important to have it checked out. Common causes of tooth pain include decay, abscess, fracture, damaged filling or gum infection.
- Tooth Decay: Even if you brush and floss and diligently you are still at risk for tooth decay. When bacteria-laden plaque hardens on the tooth’s surface, it begins to attack the enamel. If you are experiencing sensitivity to sweets or hot and cold, you may already have some decay in your mouth.
- Bad Breath: Bad breath is much more than a social issue, it can be an important indicator of a more serious issue like gum disease or oral cancer.
- Tooth Erosion: When acid from food and drink attacks your enamel, it can begin to harm its integrity. Symptoms range from sensitivity to hot and cold to cracks in the teeth.
- Gum Disease: Probably the most common problem that brings patients to us is gum disease. Gingivitis and periodontitis not only cause damage to your gums but also be responsible for tooth and bone loss. This is a serious health issue as it won’t clear up on it’s own and can cause problems in the rest of your body—especially your heart.
- Oral Cancer: Even if you aren’t a tobacco user you can still contract oral cancer. The good news is that if it is caught early it is highly treatable.