All-on-4 Sounds Awesome, But How Do I Know It’s For Me?
All-on-4 dental implants have been changing the lives of many patients who are suffering from the loss of several teeth. This revolutionary dental appliance is literally the next best thing to having the teeth you were born with. With so many benefits, why wouldn’t you choose All-On-4? Here’s how to know if you are a candidate:
- Overall Health: Since All-on-4 is a surgical procedure, you must be healthy enough to undergo anesthesia and recover fully. If you are being treated for heart disease, we may prescribe an antibiotic prior to beginning the implant process and require medical clearance from your cardiologist.
- Tobacco Use: Tobacco use not only increases your risk of having cancer; it also increases your risk of periodontal disease. Even smoking only a half a pack per day is enough to make your three times more likely to contract periodontitis. The chemicals in cigarette smoke can also prevent the implant site from healing, which can cause the procedure to be unsuccessful. It is for this reason that we are hesitant to recommend All-on4 for tobacco users who are not willing to quit.
- Bone Loss: If you have already experienced a decrease in your alveolar bone, you may still be a candidate for All-on-4. Since the posts are placed at an angle into the jaw rather than vertically, less bone is required for a successful procedure.
- Diabetes: High blood sugar can lead to complications in your mouth that can impair healing, but if you have your diabetes under control through medication and dietary changes you may still be a candidate for All-on-4. In fact, a recent study has shown that diabetic patients have up to a 94% success rate with dental implants.
- Autoimmune Disease: Metal implants can cause a reaction with your body that can increase the severity of autoimmune disorders like Crohn’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis and Hashimoto’s disease.
Even if it may look like something on the above list may exclude you from being a candidate for All-on-4, don’t make your final decision before seeing us first. We will work with your medical doctor to not only protect your dental health, but the health of the rest of your body too. Call to schedule your consultation today. To get our FREE ebook – 7 Reasons To Ditch Your Dentures, CLICK HERE!