The first step in having a successful dental implant is the provider that you choose. Although many dentists perform dental implant procedures, only board-certified periodontists specialize in them. Once we have completed our part, the rest depends on how you take care of it at home. By following these steps, you decrease your risk of the implant failing and increase the lifespan of the prosthetic.
How To Have A Successful Dental Implant
- Follow a soft foods diet until we have cleared you to resume eating normally.
- Apply ice externally to the area of the implant to reduce swelling and lessen pain.
- Practice good oral hygiene that includes brushing twice a day for at least two minutes and flossing once.
- Rinse at regular intervals with a saltwater solution.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages while you are recovering.
- Discontinue use of all forms of tobacco products.
- Take you’re entire prescription of antibiotics as directed.
- Come to all of your follow-up appointments.
- Continue with annual periodontal check ups.
As long as you follow the rules, you’ll find that getting a dental implant was one of the best decisions you’ve ever made about your smile. To see dental implants are an option for your tooth loss, schedule a consultation with one of the board-certified periodontists at Anthem Periodontics to learn more about the types of implants we offer, financing options and what will best work for your unique situation. Call us today!