The primary purpose of your teeth is pretty obvious—to chew your food. What you may not realize is that the act of chewing does more than help you to swallow and digest your food; it also maintains the shape and mass of your jawbone.
- The force created during chewing applies pressure to your jaw
- This pressure encourages the creation of alveolar bone
- Alveolar bone is only present in areas that continually receive pressure
- Once this pressure is absent, the alveolar bone dissolves
- Reduced alveolar bone means less bone mass in the jaw
- This loss of bone weakens your jawline and changes the appearance of your face
- Loss of alveolar bone also reduces your ability to receive permanent dental implants
Wearing dentures provides a way for you to chew food and smile, however they are unable to provide the force on the jawbone required to retain your alveolar bone. Over time, wearing dentures will ultimately alter the appearance of your face and cause you to age prematurely.
Fortunately, there is an alternative that restores your smile and preserves your jaw bone: All-On-4 dental implants. All-On-4 dental implants anchor directly to your jaw and look and act just like real teeth. This means no bone loss, no weakened jawline and no premature aging.
If you are interested in preserving the structure of your mouth, look into the All-On-4 dental implant. Anthem Periodontics and Dental Implants even offers in-house financing options to help you find a payment that fits your monthly budget. Schedule an appointment today to learn more.
To read more about how you can ditch your dentures for dental implants, please download our FREE ebook!