The Oral Cancer Risk You Probably Didn’t Know About
At Anthem Periodontics and Dental Implants, we take oral cancer seriously. So seriously in fact, that we are going to butt into your personal life in the name of protecting your oral health.
More and more patients are being diagnosed with oral cancer even when they don’t have traditional risk factors such as tobacco use.
More than half of oral cancers diagnosed in the United States are caused by human papilloma virus (HPV). HPV is a sexually-transmitted disease that can be spread into the mouth through oral sex. It is important to know about this connection because:
- 80% of sexually-active individuals will contract HPV in their lifetime
- HPV is now the leading cause of oropharyngeal cancers in the United States
- There are more than 40 strains of HPV that can cause cancer
- If patients don’t have traditional risk factors they may not be screened
- HPV for the most part is asymptomatic so you may not be able to tell if you or your partner are a carrier without being tested
If you are concerned that this little-known risk factor may apply to you, schedule an oral cancer screening with the board-certified periodontists—especially if you see any of these symptoms:
- Sore throat without a known cause
- Feeling that something is stuck in the back of your throat
- Mouth sores that do not heal
- White, red or speckled patches in your mouth
- Change in voice
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing
- Unexplained oral bleeding
- Trouble moving tongue
- Persistent sores on the face or neck
As gum and soft tissue experts, our board-certified periodontists are uniquely trained to spot the early signs of oral cancer. Stop wondering if you are okay and find out for sure. Call to schedule your appointment today.