The one single thing you can do to prevent getting gum disease is to keep your mouth clean. All periodontal disease begins from an infection caused by the bacteria that are already in your mouth. Removing plaque and tartar build up can stop that from happening.
When you have a history of periodontal disease or certain risk factors that make you more vulnerable to contracting periodontal disease, periodontal maintenance cleanings are recommended to help keep your teeth and gums healthy. They are more thorough than the regular cleaning that you receive from your general dentist. A periodontal maintenance cleaning includes:
- Supragingival Scaling: During this stage, the area above the gum-line is cleaned using special scaling instruments to thoroughly remove plaque and tartar.
- Subgingival Scaling: One of the most important steps in the process, the subgingival scaling removes bacteria from underneath the gum-line.
- Root Planing: Following the scaling steps, root planing smooths out the surface of the tooth’s roots to prevent plaque from having a place to collect.
- Medication: We will provide you with a prescription for oral or topical antibiotics to accelerate the healing of your pockets and prevent further infection.
- X-Rays: One of the complications of periodontal disease is tooth and bone loss. By taking regular x-rays, we can monitor this and protect your smile.
Periodontal maintenance cleanings is one of the many ways that Anthem Periodontics and Dental Implants protects your smile. To learn more about the importance of periodontal care and if you are a candidate for periodontal maintenance cleanings, schedule an oral health evaluation today.